Moshe is an emerging artist, who works with several media including watercolors, acrylic, printmaking and stained glass. His vibrant and colorful style is influenced by art, architecture, the Jewish tradition and the variety of materials he uses.
Moshe created his first Ketubah in 1995 for his wife. Since then he has created many more for family and friends. In 2007 Moshe started licensing his Katubah designs to Ketubah.com (aka KetubahKetubah). Moshe’s work can be found in many private collections in the USA, Canada, Israel and South Africa.
Moshe was born and raised in Israel. Following his job assignments in the High Tech industry in North America, he is currently living happily with his wife and 3 girls in Thornhill, Ontario.
My art is influenced by my Jewish heritage, my love for architecture, art and color.
Using the square, and in its multiply form, the grid, was always one of the strongest shapes influencing my art. As a kid, I remember filling page after page of math grid notebooks with colors, creating colorful patterns. At art museums of the masters, I always love finding unfinished paintings that the under-painting transfer grid is still shown. Artists who influenced my work include Piet Mondrian, Paul Cézanne, and Michael Eisemann, an Israeli artist whose work exposes the beautiful and intricate mind of the artist, arranged on a grid. I am always fascinated by ancient mosaics, made of thousands of tiny stone or glass squares to create detailed delicate images. In short, I just love squares!
In my current style, I use the grid as integral part of the object. The object is broken to many small pieces, defined by their contour – outlined and abstract shapes – and by the grid. Then the colors rebuild the image, structuring it shape by shape, using dark and light values for shaded and lighted areas. And then there are the color choices – the juxtaposition of complementary colors, warm and cool colors and different color schemes, all playfully depicting familiar objects in a new original way.
Art for me is a passion. Passion for creativity, passion for the process, passion to learn and advance, and passion for the people who are passionate like me about art.
- 2011 Moonbean Coffee Company, Kensington Market, Toronto, ON
- 2010-2011 Aroma Espresso Bar, Yonge-Eglinton Centre, Toronto, ON
Juried Group Exhibitions:
- 2011 10th annual Little Art Show, Hang Man Gallery, Toronto, ON
- 2011 Miniature Show, 337 Sketch Gallery, Hamilton, ON
- 2011 Very Superstitious, Hang Man Gallery, Toronto, ON
- 2010 9th annual Little Art Show by the Artists’ Network, Toronto ON
- 2010 Everything OLD is ART Again, Hang Man Gallery, Toronto, ON
- 2010 12thRiverdale Art Walk, Toronto, ON (pictures)
- 2010 Artzy, Art and Music Show by Hillel of Greater Toronto (pictures)
- 2009 8th annual Little Art Show by the Artists’ Network, Toronto ON (pictures)
- 2009 York Region Chairman’s Dinner for the Arts, Thornhill, ON
Non-Juried Group Exhibitions:
- 2011 Israeli Artists Group of Toronto 3rd Annual Art Show
- 2010 Israeli Artists Group of Toronto at Shalom Centre art show
- 2010 Israeli Artists Group of Toronto 2nd Annual Art Show (pictures)
- 2010 Octopus Project XI: HELLO, Distillery History District (pictures)
- 2009 Pleine Air Landscapes, LucSculpture School & Studio, Toronto, ON (pictures)
- 2007 4thannual Stained Glass Art Show, Glowing Panes Glassworks, Thornhill, ON
- People’s Choice Award 2010, Israeli Artists Group of Toronto 2nd Annual Art Show
- Logo design competition 2010, Israeli Artists Group of Toronto, 1st place (logo)
- Ketubah designs, Ketubah.com, Toronto ON (http://ketubah.com)
- Tribute Cards, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, Toronto, ON (www.ujatributecards.com)
- High Holiday cards, Northridge Medical Centre, Northridge, CA
- Art for Calendar, Pathmark via MKG Design, MI
- Zazzle – Print on demand products (Zazzle.com/mikaovsky*)
- Ketubah designs for private clients, Israel and Canada
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah portraits for private clients, Canada
- Stained glass Judaica for private clients, USA, Canada, Israel, and South Africa
- Design for Holy Ark, Young Israel of Oak Park, Oak Park, MI
- Logo for AMOD, Oak Park, MI
Art articles published:
- Shalom Toronto, weekly newspaper in Hebrew and English, Toronto, ON
- FineArtViews.com – regular writing contributor
Social Media for Artists classes and seminars given at:
- Artists’ Network
- Toronto Potters
- Fusion, The Ontario Clay and Glass Association – Fusion 2011 Conference
- Israeli Artists Group of Toronto
- Private groups
Art Education Classes:
- Figure Painting, Toronto School or Art, Toronto, ON
- Encaustic with visual artist Myriam Levy, Toronto, ON
- Acrylic Painting with Gary Smith at LucSculpture, Toronto, ON
- Relief Printmaking (etching, silkscreen) at Central Technical School, Toronto, ON
- Relief Printmaking (linocut, woodcuts, monoprints) at the ROM, Toronto, ON
- Stained Glass, Fantasy in Glass Glassworks, Etobicoke, ON
- Figure Drawing, Oakland Community College, Oakland, MI
- Drawing and Watercolor Painting, Avni Institute – College for Art and Design, Jaffa, Israel
- History of Art – The Open University, Tel Aviv, Israel